Did you know that:
- Canada is the highest garbage producer in the world? The CBC reported on November 23, 2017 that we generate 25 million tons annually, which shamefully puts us at the top of the global list.
- Second hand shopping and selling have rapidly increased as more and more of us see the financial and environmental benefits of recycling whatever we can:
- Kijiji estimates that 1.9 billion Canadian goods were granted a second life in 2016, about 78 items per person. That’s $29 BILLION worth of used goods bought resold or donated
- So you can bet your family and neighbours are part of this huge business trend. According to CTV, 82% of Canadians participated in second-hand transactions in 2016, and 69% of us disposed of used goods. And we’re earning an average of $1,037 annually just by taking part in the second hand economy, who couldn’t use that kind of cash?
- The fashion world is also realizing the environmental benefits of second hand shopping. Kudos to Stella McCartney for embracing pre-loved fashion, even being a driving force to naming October as National Consignment Month!
- Check out consignment shopping tips from VOGUE’S TOP EDITORS in the October 17, 2017 edition of Runway. As they say, “Basically, when you buy something old and previously-loved, you’re extending its lifespan and reducing its carbon footprint. Picking up brand-new clothes all the time (and disposing of them just as quickly) drives demand for nonstop manufacturing, which contributes to the fashion industry’s incredible waste.
- In case you missed it, fashion is the second- most polluting industry in the world, surpassed only by petroleum. Can you think of a better reason to do a little second-hand browsing today?
Catch the full read on Vogue
You can feel great about doing your part for the environment when you buy and sell at ChicaBOOM!